Peru, IN – The Peru Board of Public Works and Safety met in regular session on Wednesday, November 7, 2018, in the City Council Chambers of the Peru City Building. The meeting was held on a Wednesday due to yesterday being election day in Indiana.
During this meeting, the Board approved the hiring of a new Firefighter and Police Officer as well as conducting regular business.
Peru Fire Chief Erick Hawk requested the Board of Works approved the hiring of Patrick Comerford as a Probationary Firefighter contingent on PERF approval. The paperwork was sent to PERF but due to a mix up with the mail, his information got sent to the IRS in Texas and had to be returned to PERF in Indianapolis. Chief Hawk expects the approval to be back as early as Thursday. Mr. Comerford would start upon receipt of the approval. The Board approved the request on a voice vote.
PPD Chief Meeks then appeared before the Board to request the hiring Braxton R. Campbell as a Probationary Officer with the Police Department. Mr. Campbell is a 2015 graduate of Peru High School. He also obtained a bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice from Indiana University Kokomo in 2018 and is currently employed by Indiana University Kokomo as a Cadet Officer. He has been with IU since July of 2017.
Campbell is a resident of Miami County and has completed his physical and psychological exams with Public Safety Medical. His hiring was approved by the Board of Works also contingent upon his approval from PERF.
In other business, the Board of Works:
• Approved the payment of $302,407.32 in regular claims against the city. This amount in a $15,000 charge to Wilson Outdoor Solutions for two new lawn mowers for the Municipal Golf Course. They are replaying mowers that had been breaking down consistently and were needing to be replaced. This amount was in the budget for the Golf Course.
• The Board of Works announced their schedule for the 2019 Holiday, City Council Meeting Schedule and Board of Works Meeting Schedule. You can view the schedules by clicking HERE.
• Approved a request from Regine Brindle of Miami County Indiana Work Remembering to use two City-owned golf carts for the Armistice’s Commemoration on Saturday, November 10, 2018, from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
• Discussed a request from Auna Tonks with a request to hold a candlelight vigil at the amphitheater or Riverwalk on Saturday, November 10th in honor of Jacoby Behny. The vigil was actually held last week on November 3, 2018.
• Tabled a request from James Adamson with a request to cut down a tree at 331 Boulevard until the next meeting of the Board of Works.
• Approved a request from Sandy Chittum of the Chamber of Commerce for an escort request for the Downtown Christmas Open House on November 14th for the Parade at 6:00 p.m. and to have Broadway Street closed during the parade from the Depot to 7th Street.
With no additional business, the board approved a motion to adjourn. The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Peru Board of Public Works and Safety will be held on Tuesday, November 20, 2018, at City Hall beginning at 5:00 p.m.
About the Board of Works:
The Board of Works consists of the Mayor and two members appointed by the Mayor. The Clerk-Treasurer is the Secretary of the Board. Authority includes control of street & sanitation as well as traffic. The Board’s function also includes control of law enforcement and fire safety, although the mayor appoints the police chief, fire chief, and city engineer to handle day to day responsibilities for their respective departments. Appointed members serve a four-year term.
The current Board of Works members include:
Mayor Gabriel Greer, by virtue of office
Steve Anderson, Mayoral Appointee
Kristin Funk, Mayoral Appointee
City Attorney Dustin Kern
Fire Chief Erick Hawk
Police Chief Mike Meeks
Tish Soldi, City Clerk-Treasurer is the Secretary of the Board